Mastering the Logistics Challenges of a Faster Moving World
Logwin Air & Ocean Australia are professionals in the field of transportation and logistics. Air freight, sea freight or land transportation: Our employees can design, organise and monitor your supply chain. Moreover, customs clearance, quality management or other value-added services are part of our activities. We are there for you.
Logwin groups its logistics services into two business segments: Solutions and Air + Ocean:
Solutions develops tailored contract logistics solutions. This business segment offers industry-specific transport and logistics concepts, especially for companies involved in industrial engineering, automotive, chemicals, electronics and high tech, and retail and fashion.
Air + Ocean manages international shipments by air and sea as well as associated value-added logistics services. These operations are based on a strong global network of branch offices, close collaboration with partner companies and a high-performance IT system that is consistent all around the world.
Logwin Air & Ocean Australia is a LowC02 business certified by the Carbon Reduction Institute (CRI) under the NoCO2 Program. To achieve this status and become a low carbon business, they undertook the following process:
- Commissioned a LowCO2 audit from CRI to measure their operational carbon footprint for the 2009 financial year (FY2009). CRI’s LowCO2 audit follows the standards outlined by the World Business Council for Sustainable Development’s Greenhouse Gas Protocol Corporate Accounting and Reporting Standard (1).Under the protocol Scope 1 & 2 emissions are required to be measured while Scope 3 emissions do not need to be measured. The LowCO2 Audit measures emissions relating to all Scope 1 & 2 emissions and Scope 3 emissions relating to staff travel and waste as these emissions fall within Logwin Air & Ocean Australia financial control.
- Committed to an ongoing program of offsetting their operational emissions in an approved Verified Carbon Standard project; namely the India Biomass Project, and
- Committed to ongoing annual auditing of their emissions.
What does LowCO2 mean?
By meeting the requirements of LowCO2 certification under the NoCO2 Program, Logwin Air & Ocean is now a low carbon business.They have measured and offset their operational emissions, as outlined above.
What Carbon Credit Project does Logwin Air & Ocean purchase units from?
India’s air pollution is exacerbated by its heavy reliance on coal for power generation. Coal supplies more than half of the country’s energy needs and is used for nearly three-quarters of electricity generation. While India is fortunate to have abundant reserves of coal to power economic development, the burning of this resource, especially given the high ash content of India’s coal, has come at a cost in terms of public health risk and environmental degradation. Reliance on coal as the major energy source has led to a nine-fold jump in carbon emissions over the past forty years. The government estimates the cost of environmental degradation has been running at 4.5% of GDP in recent years.
Biomass projects are implemented in small or large industrial plants. Their aim is to utilize agricultural waste or other non-renewable biomass residues as fuel to generate power and to lower the plants’ dependence on the local grid for electricity. Before the implementation of the project, the electricity needs of such plants were met by power from a coal dominated grid. To meet the rising energy demands in production, a new efficient biomass boiler was installed together with a steam turbine, producing both steam and electricity. The new boilers are fuelled with locally available agricultural waste instead of traditional, emission intensive coal.
Before the start of the project, these agricultural residues were not used. They were either burned without harnessing the resulting thermal energy, or simply left to decay, thereby generating methane emissions. The plant’s steam and electricity requirements can be now supplied by the new cogeneration unit. The investment required for the installation of the new cogeneration unit could not have been raised were it not for the revenue from sales of carbon credits.
In addition to reducing the emission of greenhouse gases, this project goes further towards aiding sustainable development in the region by:
- Job and Income Creation
- Promotesgreen energy and technology solutions
- Fuel is generated locally improving local energy supply
- Reduces emissions
- Helps demonstrate the business case for renewable energy solutions, and
- Better health outcomes for the local inhabitants.
To find out more about how Logwin Air & Ocean can help you, please go to the following link: