Arcadian Organic & Natural Meat Co:
Arcadian Organic & Natural Meat Co. is a leading global supplier of premium quality certified organic and natural meat. It is a pioneer in the organic meat industry both in Australia and internationally.
Arcadian prides itself on a history of innovation, market leadership and creating award winning products to meet the changing demands of the market. Arcadian’s brand portfolio is Cleaver’s, Borrowdale Free Range Pork, and The Organic Meat Company. All products now carry the carbon neutral product logo.
The company’s flagship Cleaver’s brand is the most successful organic meat brand in Australia. Cleaver’s is available in over 900 major Australian supermarkets and independent stores. Cleaver’s is also supplied to export markets, along with other brands that the company supports strongly.
Arcadian proudly maintains ‘year round’ supply of the highest quality organic & natural meat products to the domestic market and major customers in 9 countries. The company has twice won ‘Exporter of the Year’ in the Australian Organic annual awards.
Arcadian always maintains its commitment to the values of Australian family farming, the wellbeing of future generations and supplying premium quality certified organic & natural meat. They sum up their philosophy as treat people well, treat animals well and treat the land well.
From 14 June 2019, Arcadian Organic & Natural Meat Co is certified as a NoCO2 business under Carbon Reduction Institute’s NoCO2 Program and therefore can claim to be a carbon neutral business. All products sold by Arcadian Organic & Natural Meat Co from the date of certification are also carbon neutral. Arcadian Organic & Natural Meat Co have been granted permission by Carbon Reduction Institute to use Carbon Reduction Institute NoCO2 and Carbon Neutral Product logos.
Arcadian Organic & Natural Meat Co acknowledge that their products and activities create emissions that contribute to human-induced climate change and that they operate in an industry that has a high level of emissions intensity. Arcadian Organic & Natural Meat Co are committed to addressing their emissions and improving their environmental performance.
Arcadian Organic & Natural Meat Co is a complex business. Within its’ supply chain Arcadian has approximately 180,000 head of live cattle, as well as chickens, pigs and lambs. This livestock is spread across numerous suppliers. Arcadian also has partnerships with several meat processing organisations. In addition to their extensive supply and processing network, Arcadian Organic & Natural Meat Co incurs emissions from packaging, freight, shipping and warehousing of their products.
While it will take several months to fully measure the emissions of their business and supply chain; Arcadian Organic & Natural Meat Co have become a carbon neutral business immediately and have made provision for carbon offsetting their emissions throughout the process of completing the carbon audit and life cycle assessments required to measure their emissions in accordance with point 1 below.
To achieve certification, Arcadian Organic & Natural Meat Co have committed to the following:
- Measure their emissions in accordance the highest international standards including the World Business Council for Sustainable Development’s Greenhouse Gas Protocol Corporate Accounting and Reporting Standard (1), in addition to the international standard ISO 14064.1 (2), as well as the series of international standards for LCAs: ISO 14040 and ISO 14044.
- Quarterly reporting and auditing of carbon neutral product sales and annual reporting and auditing of operational emissions, and
- Reduce emissions calculated in their carbon footprint to net zero emissions through:
(a) Reducing emissions within their operations, and
(b) Offsetting those emissions that have not been reduced using Carbon Reduction Institute approved Verified Carbon Standards and Gold Standard approved carbon credits.
To fully offset emissions from the certification date and prior to completion of the initial assessments; Arcadian Organic & Natural Meat Co have undertaken the following process:
- Carbon Reduction Institute has calculated an estimate of Arcadian Organic & Natural Meat Co emissions FY2019 emissions, which forms the emissions baseline for Arcadian Organic & Natural Meat Co for FY2020.
- Arcadian Organic & Natural Meat Co has purchased carbon credits from the Verified Carbon Standard and Carbon Reduction Institute approved Mytrah Wind Power Project, India and has immediately retired the number of carbon credits required to fulfill their carbon neutral claim.
- Upon completion of the carbon audit and life cycle assessments, Carbon Reduction Institute will calculate the actual emissions for the period from the date of certification to the date of completion of the carbon audit & life cycle assessments.
- Actual emissions will be balanced against estimated emissions for the period, and, if required, additional carbon credits will be retired to cover the carbon neutral claim for the period.
What Carbon Credit Projects does Arcadian Organic & Natural Meat Co purchase units from?
Arcadian Organic & Natural Meat Co offset their emissions in a range of renewable energy and energy efficiency carbon credit projects, including the Myrtah Bundled Wind Project. All projects are verified and issued under Verra’s Verified Carbon Standard (VCS).
Verified Carbon Standard and Carbon Reduction Institute approved, Myrtah Wind Project, India
A transition away from fossil fuels towards a clean energy alternative is an important development for India’s rapidly expanding economy. Wind farms harness prevailing winds to create clean, renewable energy, while also providing important infrastructural, economic and social benefits for more remote communities.
This project converts wind energy into electrical energy, across a number of wind farms, which have a combined installed capacity of 493.5 MW. This clean electricity is then exported to the Indian Grid, supplementing energy demands with an alternative to coal-fired electricity.
The clean power produced by the project displaces an equivalent amount of power from the grid, which is fed mainly by fossil fuel-fired power plants. Therefore, it results in a reduction of GHG emissions. Mytrah Wind, the project owner, also runs a wide CSR scheme that supports the wellbeing of local communities. This includes investment to improve access to education, clean water and a focus on reducing unemployment and the lack of opportunities for young people in the area. It also runs two community camps, together with UNICEF, to empower young women by educating them on their rights, creative abilities and skills in healthcare, while a safe water project provides clean water, sanitation education and improved latrine services.